Sport and PE
The Sports Premium Grant
Every year our school receives a grant from the government to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and the sport we offer.
We have set out an action plan for how we intend to spend the money we receive.
How the Sports Premium benefits pupils:
- Our ultimate aim for for every pupil to engage in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school.
- Physical activity is key to living a healthy and active lifestyle and we believe that encouraging this at an early age will help them maintain this into adulthood.
- Increases confidence and self-esteem that can also benefit children in the classroom.
- Develops the skills of team work and communication and the values of resilience and determination.
- A broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils in the hope that every child can find a sporting passion.
- Increases participation in competitive sport and all of the learning opportunities that it brings.
- Encourages pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- Improves the confidence and ability of pupils to swim and help them meet the requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2
- Embeds physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching
How the Sports Premium benefits the school:
- Provides staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively and embed physical activity across your school.
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increases confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities